Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bastard Soup

Yes indeed, folks, I just made bastard soup. And you want to know what? I don't even know who the father is. In my defense, I don't really know who the mother is either. This soup is an amalgamation of every possible asian soup I could think of, save for miso.

I was tired, kids, and hungry. I wanted something warm and comforting, quick and easy, and spicy and creamy. I poured some chicken broth in a pot, added some coconut milk, a bunch of spices, a handful of veggies, some leftover chicken, and some hot sauce. Then I added some noodles, and left the whole mess to boil. Somehow this pile of ingredients turned into something much tastier than it should have been. It was better than the sum of its parts, and perfectly hit the spot. Feel free to tweak the ingredients, I just threw in what was rattling around my refrigerator.


Asian Fusion Chicken Coconut Soup -- serves 4 or more


Ingredients:

--8 cups chicken broth, homemade is best
--1 can light coconut milk
--1 small onion roughly diced
--4 cloves garlic diced
--2 inches lemongrass, very finely diced
--8 kaffir lime leaves, cut into very thin ribbons (chiffonade)
--1 bunch cilantro, leaves removed and diced
--8-10 basil leaves, chiffonaded
--small bunch mint leaves, finely diced
--handful of roughly chopped chinese broccoli or similar green vegetable (bok choy would also be good)
--splash soy sauce
--splash fish sauce
--1 teaspoon (or more) curry powder
--1 teaspoon diced fresh ginger
--juice of 2 limes
--rooster sauce (lots -- at least 1 tablespoon)
--3 chicken breasts, cooked (mine were leftover grilled)
--1/2 lb noodles (soba would be best, I was out of soba and had to use spaghetti)

Directions:

1) Bring the stock and coconut milk to a boil

2) Add all of the other ingredients except for the noodles, and simmer for 15 minutes

3) Add the noodles, and cook until just done

To Serve:

Pour into bowls, garnish with more fresh herbs and a lime slice. Enjoy. A cold Corona is an excellent companion. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good, but not the best soup ever: (1) spaghetti is a sell-out -- should have been home-made udon; and (2) the shepherd's pie was more attractive -- something need to be done about the greyish yellow cast to the coconut milk broth (more fresh green herbs? Red peppers?)

D