Tuesday, May 15, 2007

But where has all the rum gone? (said in Cap't Jack Sparrow's slurring pirate accent)

Oh, the rum is right here, my friend, right here.

As I've told you all before, I'm not really big on desserts. However, I've been in the sweets-mode for a few weeks now....and all signs point to this trend continuing for awhile. My friends and co-workers have been lavished with leftover treats recently and now they won't stop pleading for more. What can I say? They're savages (scallywags?). :)

So, in my quest to come up with things that are delicious, I looked through my pantry.

chocolate.

rum.

pecans.





Oh baby, yeah.


Add these all together and discover a most luscious dessert. Yes, indeed, folks ... I'm talking about rum balls. The reason I embarked upon this particular (non)baking quest is simple. It was the last game of the kickball season and my team's name is Red Rum. Get it? Ball? Rum? :)

Rum Balls were clearly in order. Plus, inebriation via pastry is always fun.

The follow recipe is super simple. You can throw this together in just a few minutes and enjoy the rum balls immediately (or wait a few days for an even better treat). These are seriously good -- rich, chocolatey, with a hint of cinnamon, and a punch of rum. yum!

Be warned, however, that these things are super potent. Only serve to those of age (and not driving right away -- having just eaten one of these would make you fail a breathalizer test for sure!)

Rum Balls
-- makes at least 40



Ingredients:

--1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans (toast the pecans first, let them totally cool, and then pulse very finely - if you don't let them fully cool they will get all pasty...which you don't want, I promise.)

--1 1/2 cups ground vanilla wafers (pulse into a fine powder in a food processor)

-- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for garnish

-- 1 teaspoon cinnamon

--2 tablespoons cocoa powder

--2 tablespoons corn syrup

--1/2 cup good quality rum (mix of your favorite -- I used spiced rum and stroh's rum)

Directions:

1) mix together all ingredients, in order listed, and chill until batter is cool (and less sticky)

2) roll dough into thumb size balls

3) toss them in a bowl with powdered sugar (enough to coat each ball)

4) store in refrigerator

Notes:

They're even better a few days later. My team adored them (and D and M made me promise to make more soon for them). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what's up with the lack of posts??? this blog is going on my watch list.