Monday, February 5, 2007

Just another Manic Monday

Oh, yes, I went there. I quoted the Bangles. But, seriously, it was that kind of Monday.

As I stumbled in the front door a few minutes ago, I was greeted by a cold, empty kitchen. M had just gotten home, and D was busy with work. No stove was lit, no pots were out, no food was prepped. We were all exhausted, hungry, and wishing it was Sunday.

Alas, the wishing did not work. It was Monday and food needed to be prepared, and fast.

Enter stage left: soft taco bar. Quick, healthy, full of flavor -- and all of the ingredients were on hand.

I'm almost embarrassed to give these recipes ... they are so simple they are more like instructions to follow the dotted line. However, sometimes when you are really tired, you need a directions for even the easiest meal. Here you go:

Set the table with condiments -- salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo, sliced olives, chopped cilantro, quartered limes, etc.

My favorite condiments. One can never go wrong with a frosty Corona with lime and I can't even explain to you how much I *love* the green Tabasco sauce.

Then make the refried beans, then the chicken, and then warm the corn tortillas (either in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel or over the flame of a gas burner on your stove). Build a soft taco. Eat. Smile.

Fast, Healthy Refried Black Beans:

Ingredients:

--2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
--1 tablespoon olive oil
--dash cumin
-- salt to taste
--hot sauce to taste

Directions:

1) Mash all ingredients together in a frying pan over medium temperature until medium smooth -- e.g. still a few whole black beans in the mash. About 8 minutes. (Use a fork or a potato masher --also, note that if you continue to add oil, lard, or butter, and keep mashing for an extended period of time you will make much more authentic --though much less waistline friendly-- refried beans.)
2) Turn off heat. Place into bowl.


These refried beans are just as delicious on chips. :)

Chicken with Cumin and Lime

Ingredients:

--2 whole cooked chicken breasts (boiled, baked, grilled,..whatever. If I'm in a big hurry I'll just boil frozen pieces in plain, salted water ... I'm not even kidding)
--2 garlic cloves mashed with pinch of salt into a paste (or 2 cubes of frozen garlic from Trader Joe's)
--dash(es) cumin
--dash(es) chili powder
--salt to taste
--hot sauce to taste
--juice of one lime


Directions:

1) cube or shred the chicken
2) over low heat, mix chicken with all other ingredients until combined
3) turn off heat, pile on a plate

To serve:

Put the refried beans and chicken on the table with the condiments. As mentioned above, build a soft taco. Eat. Smile. Be happy that tomorrow is not another Monday.



Yum!


"Six o'clock already I was just in the middle of a dream, I was kissin' Valentino by a crystal blue Italian stream, But I can't be late 'cause then I guess I just won't get paid, these are the days when you wish your bed was already made.
It's just another manic Monday, I wish it was Sunday, 'cause that's my fun-day, my I don't have to run-day, it's just another manic Monday"

No comments: